In the world of luxury ski accommodations, the most exclusive chalets have gone beyond amenities like slope-side hot tubs and boot warmers to offer eyebrow-raising comfort, convenience and entertainment. From private theaters to wine cellars, these 10 luxury ski home amenities are making alpine vacations about much more than simply hitting the slopes:
10. Après Ski Bars – Why head to the pub when you can relax with a mixologist-made cocktail right at home? Invite friends to compare vertical feet and reminisce about the day’s best runs at your own private bar. The Ski Dream Home at Deer Valley Resort even allows you to ski up to your bartender for a mid-day snack without having to step inside. Others, like Another World at Canyons Resort, boast luxurious touches like Miele espresso machines — a perk of both the home’s bars.
9. Wine Cellars – Always have the perfect wine to pair with your Swiss fondue or medallions of elk by keeping a selection of favorites in your temperature-controlled wine cellar. A properly managed luxury vacation home will include pre-arrival service to ensure that your cellar is stocked before you arrive.
8. Theaters – With stadium seating, surround sound, giant projector screens and convenient wet bars, ski home theaters have become an increasingly popular way to unwind after a day on the slopes — and rest up for first tracks in the morning.
7. Fitness Suites – Many skiers are also fitness enthusiasts who value their daily workout. An in-home gym offers the convenience to maintain this routine. Of course, the saunas and steam rooms that typically accompany fitness suites are often much appreciated as well.
6. Game Rooms – From foosball to shuffleboard, game rooms have become an integral part of luxury ski homes. Sky Villa at Canyons Resort features a full game room with ping-pong and even a drum set. Other chalets, like the Chalet Rose in Aspen, are upping the stakes (and sophistication factor) with professional poker tables.
5. Fire Pits – Re-live the best runs of the day over s’mores with the kids, or simply cozy up with friends and family to savor time well spent. Fire pits are also the perfect way to enjoy more time outside with stunning mountain views.
4. Massage Rooms – Skip the uncomfortable public waiting area that often precludes a massage at the spa, and have your masseuse come directly to your vacation home. Many luxury ski homes feature specific massage rooms for peace, privacy and relaxation.
3. Heated Swimming Pools – Frivolous? Perhaps. But after a day of leg-burning turns and waist-high powder, a heated pool is often heaven on earth for sore muscles.
2. Ski-in/Ski-out Access – The crème de la crème amenity of ski homes, direct ski-in/ski-out access — no lift required — is a rarity. Deer Valley Resort is the exception to this rule, offering entire slope-side neighborhoods of homes with out-the-door, mid-mountain access.
1. Private Ski Run – The only amenity more sacred than ski access is an entire private run. This is possible at Deer Crest, a gated community in Deer Valley, where many chalets sit on private, goomed runs that lead to Deer Valley Resort’s Jordanelle Gondola.